My name is Kathy Butts I started my business Eat Well, Be Well in 2012. I am a 61 year old woman who had a series of health problems (high blood pressure, high cholesterol etc.) This prompted me to change my eating habits to a plant based diet and I was able to reverse all my health issues. Today I am a full-time student in Nutrition. I have a passion for helping others reverse their health issues as well and get the proper nutrition they need for a healthy immune system.
There are 5 amazing health benefits of embracing a plant based diet.
(1) Lower Blood Pressure, most people living a plant based diet automatically have lower blood pressure due to a higher intake of potassium-rich foods. Potassium helps lower blood pressure that leads to stress and anxiety. Most all whole grains, legumes, nuts, seeds, and all fruits and vegetables contain high amounts of potassium and Vitamin B6. Meat and most all animal foods contain little to no potassium and actually raise blood pressure and cholesterol.
(2) Lower Cholesterol, speaking of lower cholesterol, it’s one of the main benefits you’ll receive from embracing plant based diet foods. Most people don’t know that plants contain NO cholesterol, even saturated sources like coconut and cacaco. While you should balance your fat intake no matter if you’re vegan or not, a plant based diet is one of the simplest ways to lower cholesterol. Consider this: one egg has twice the amount of cholesterol as a fast food hamburger and fish contains almost or even more cholesterol than meat or poultry. Plant foods like vegetables, fruits, whole grains, nuts and seeds can actually lower rates of cholesterol and heart disease.
(3) Better Blood Sugar, the number one way to fight high blood sugar is to eat more fiber. It slows down the absorption of sugars in the blood stream and as a result can help improve how hungry you are all day long. Animal foods have been found to raise blood sugar.
(4) Lower Rates of Cancer, a low fat, whole foods plant based diet is the number one way to improve your chances at avoiding cancer risk. Animal foods have been linked to cancer, especially colon and breast cancer.
(5) Weight Loss, if you’re consuming whole foods, plant based diet (especially one that’s low in fat and processed sugars), you’re going to lose weight. A food high in raw, clean whole foods may improve your chances at losing weight even more, even though cooked foods may help with nutrient absorption. Weight loss naturally occurs when you consume more fiber, vitamins, and minerals than you do animal fats and proteins.
Eat Well, Be Well
P. O. Box 2831
Long Beach, California 90802